Merle Taylor called meeting to order 7:05 pm EST.
Members present: Merle Taylor, Darle Heck, Kathi Brown, Tom Hossfeld, Kathy Ferris
Merle mentioned he spoke with STCA Pres Lori Kelly in Orlando. Asked if anyone had reports at this time: K. Ferris reported not much other than the new STCA administration, K. Brown reported that the seminar in Orlando was well attended, in addition to the coat and sparring seminar and appointments with the Canine College. Questions again came up on movement not being important in our breed since not in the scale.
Merle offered comments on his discussion with Lori. One point was whether we feel our committee fulfilled our purpose? Merle told her that we would meet to talk about where we are going from here. Also, we would like to set up a meeting, including her on the call. Merle will talk to Lori and set up that meeting. Merle stated that he intends to resign but will finish up loose ends. Lori was very complementary of K. Brown’s presentations. Merle told Lori that if the committee is to do anything we would make proposals, and it would go out to the membership. We then decide on the wording and follow the process. The concern is that he doesn’t think the Forum is working as well as intended. He still has several articles on the standard. He asked the committee what they want to do. Do we think we need to change the point system to address the short comings? It will still need to go to membership for discussion. Especially in talking about how AKC requires the process to go. We can ask AKC to look at it unofficially for us. Merle sees it being broken down into 3 areas. Discussion of the AKC procedure followed.
K.Ferris offered her thoughts and overview of how we should proceed. D. Heck feels an article on the progression of the standard to this day would be useful for membership to see the evolution. T.Hossfeld thought that there may be need to compromise so that it is amenable to all. Do we involve those opposed to change and if so how?
Merle is concerned that talking to the group currently is in opposition will not likely change their minds. Therefore, how do we get them involved?
K.Brown offered that discussion of the history of original committee would be useful to show membership. An article of the trajectory of the standard, showing the development to today could be the best way to present it to the club at large. We would include the membership and mention that some things have emerged as a result of study. We have gotten input on color, and the need to clarify. Offer the discussion we have had and that we want membership to know. Would they like to see the simple line “no color is preferred” included? Questions on the scale of points come up. Judges ask why it isn’t consistent with standard, ie: movement, bite, denture and temperament. Would membership agree that it needs to be brought into balance with the standard? Then lastly proportionality. We added a measurement when membership wanted a proportion. We want to involve everyone on this process.
The committee agreed to a 4-point process. We have talked to many breeders, judges, members etc. At this time, it is not a proposal but a request for feedback.
Merle asked who will do it. K.Brown suggested we each take a section and share it among our committee and create the article. 1st step will be to go into the Bagpiper, with reference to visit the Forum for further discussion. A topic would be created with the article on website and reference to it.
Decision to meet with Lori as President first. Then present this to the board. Try to do this at a January meeting.
Merle offered a recap that we will start to prepare articles and the committee to meet with Lori on Jan. 30th at 7pm.
Meeting adjourned at 8:10 EST.
Kathleen Ferris, acting secretary