WEB TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE: SOP
ARTICLE V, SECTION 1
The Board shall each year appoint such standing committees as needed to advance the operation of the Club or to aid the Board on particular projects. Such committees shall always be subject to the final authority of the Board. (Amendment approved by The American Kennel Club, October, 1996.)
RESPONSIBILITY: The Committee is responsible for delivering information technology to support the operation of the STCA, including delivery of a public web site which represents the STCA and Scottish Terriers positively.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Committee is accountable to the STCA Board, but takes direction on plans, designs, and communications from the Board-appointed Director Liaison - Web Technology Committee.
ORGANIZATION: The Committee consists of a team of web developers drawn from the STCA membership. The team is headed by a Committee Chair who is the technical leader or Web Master. The Chair provides day-to-day direction to the team in performing their assigned roles for maintaining the Club's web site. Work is divided amongst team members as they choose, but team members backup each other to minimize dependency on a single individual.
ROLE: The Committee is responsible for delivering and facilitating use of the underlying IT infrastructure for the Club's web site, but it is not responsible for being content experts or for the development of content. Content is to be supplied by the Club officers, directors and committee chairs who have responsibility and are accountable to the Board for their applicable area of the Club's business.
Submit Service Requests via: FEEDBACK at the STCA Website.
MEETINGS: Committee is expected to coordinate work through routine periodic teleconference meetings. Meetings are now held bi-weekly on Tuesday evenings for approximately 1 hour.
DUTIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
- Develops and maintains an STCA internet web site , including managing the domain – specifically www.stca.biz and its associated emails.
- Content Management System,
- Style Sheets, and
- Plug-In Software
- Registers Domain Names
- Contracts Hosting Service Providers
- Acquires and upgrades software
- Administers security access controls
- Operates the site
- Troubleshoots defects and service outages
- Engages hosting service to support and restore service
- Coordinates content development with accountable Section/Article publishers and editors/authors
- Publishes content provided
- Maintains consistent organization and formatting of content
- Establishes and Maintains Copyright rules for the Scottish Terrier Club of America
- Advises authors of obsolete, incorrect, and missing content
- Maintains breed and service linkages with the AKC web site
- Integrates Scottie Pedigrees software and data from Pedigree Committee
- Coordinates with Treasurer on PayPal linkage for e-Business financial transactions (credit card purchases)
- Coordinate with Recording Secretary on the STCA Organization, Membership Roster, etc.
- Transmits STCA News! Broadcast email communications to Club members (upon request from the Board)
- Tracks Feedback/Contacts; works service requests in a timely manner; and communicates resolution to the requestor
- Provides archiving
- Monitors usage statistics
- Educates and trains users
- Budgets, controls, and reports on expenditures
- Reports status to the Board prior to Board Meetings
- Raises policy issues to the Board, via the Director Liaison
- Informs the Board of planned outages for maintenance
- Backup web site for disaster recovery
- Recommends new features and functionality
- Plans work and implements enhancements
ANNUAL RECURRING MAINTENANCE: Most service requests are processed by the Web Committee in the normal operations as time permits. However, there are several annual recurring maintenance items that are time sensitive.
OCTOBER: Following the Montgomery After Dinner Meeting, update STCA Club organization personnel and forms for new officers, directors, committee chairs, etc. Coordinate with the Recording Secretary.
OCTOBER: From October 1st to January 31st, setup online STCA Membership Dues collection for the next calendar year. Take it down after the January grace period ends. Coordinate with the Treasurer.
FEBRUARY: Take down prior year and setup current year SHOW section for the National Rotating Specialty including show site, judges, premium lists, entries, hotels, banquets, maps, etc. Coordinate with the VP/Show Chair.
July: Take down prior year and setup current year SHOW section for the National Specialty (Montgomery) including show site, judges, premium lists, entries, hotels, banquets, maps, etc. Coordinate with the VP/Show Chair.
BUDGET & CONTROL OF EXPENDITURES: The Web Committee's Annual Budget is projected at $500. This covers fixed contracted expenses for the Domain Name and Hosting Services and variable one-time expenses for software. Software packages are used for certain functions (contact lists, forms, databases, PayPal payment, etc.) to avoid customized code. The Chair decides which software products to acquire. The Web Committee is reimbursed for expenses by the Treasurer.
DOMAIN NAME: Domain Name www.stca.biz is contracted with GoDaddy at
14455 North Hayden Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
We contracted for ".BIZ Transfer (1 Yr FREE + 8 Add'l) (recurring), Term: 9 Years, Name: STCA.BIZ". The Domain Name has been paid through 04/05/2020. We paid $136.53 (equivalent to $15.17/year). Administration is assigned to the Director Liaison and paid by credit card. Domain name can be transferred to the Hosting Services provider prior to expiration.
HOSTING SERVICES: Hosting Services are contracted with Rochen Performance Hosting at
PO Box 10149
Dundee, DD5 2YR
We contract for "Business Hosting Plan 2 - stca.biz". Payment is due annually on May 9th . Payment has been made through 08/05/2014 (read May 8th). The cost is $155.40/year (equivalent to $12.95/month). Plan 2 provides us with more storage which is sufficient to allow a production and development site. Administration is assigned to the Director Liaison and paid by credit card.
Note: Domain Name and Hosting Services providers may be changed over time to optimize service.