Standard Operational Procedures
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
ARTICLE III, Section 2(a)
"The President shall preside at all meetings of the Club and of the Board, and
shall have the duties and powers normally appurtenant to the office of the
President in addition to those particularly specified in these By-laws."
ARTICLE II, Section 2
"Special Club meetings may be called by the President...... "
ARTICLE III, Section 3
"Vacancies......... a vacancy in the office of the President shall be filled
automatically by the Vice-President....."
ARTICLE III, Section 2(g)
"The Immediate Past-President, although not elected, is a non-voting member
of the Board and shall serve as such on the Board for a period of one (1) year
ARTICLE VI, Section 4
"Expulsion. Expulsion of a member from the Club may be accomplished only
at the Annual Meeting of the Club following a hearing and upon the
recommendation of the Board or Committee as provided in Section 3 of this
Article. The defendant shall have the privilege of appearing in his own behalf,
though no evidence shall be taken at this meeting. The President shall read
the charges and the findings and recommendations and shall invite the
defendant, if present, to speak in his own behalf
GENERAL DUTIES OF THE PRESIDENT
1. To become well informed concerning the Constitution and By-laws and to
review periodically with each Officer and Director their roles and give guidance / direction as needed.
2. To prepare and send an Agenda to Board Members at least 10 days prior to its
3. To call meetings to order and to preside over and serve as Chairperson of
Board and General Membership meetings.
4. To maintain order at such meetings and to control debates or discussions.
5. To state each question or motion that is brought before the meeting; to call for
a vote upon motions and to announce the results after votes have been taken.
6. To follow rules of order and pending business.
7. To recommend names of members to the Board for consideration as
committee chairpersons or as member of a committee.
8. To protect the financial state of the club recommending frugal decisions.
9. To encourage and welcome new members to participate in club activities.
8. To discuss extensively with each Chair the SOP, to give guidance/direction as
appropriate and to express appreciation for service.
9. To sign letters and documents which are necessary to carry out the will of the
10. To remain impartial at all times. The president cannot vote except when the
vote of the Board of Directors or of the members is a tie.
11. To send congratulatory notes to BOB, BOS, BOW plus Best In Sweepstakes
after the Montgomery County show and after the Rotating Specialty.
12. , To establish after the Annual Meeting a private e-mail group for Board members using a site that maintains an archive of all messages sent and provides service to all e-mail service providers.
13. To provide a President's Message for each Bagpiper issue.
14. To always welcome guests and new members.
15. To represent and promote the breed club as ambassador to the public in all aspects.
16. Be present for all meetings, conference calls, and STCA activities.
17. Attempt to visit Regional Clubs whenever possible.
18. Review all club documents periodically. Appoint ad hoc committees when needed with Board approval to review and suggest revisions.
REGULAR ITEMS FOR THE AGENDA:
A. FIRST MEETING OF THE ELECTED BOARD
(Meeting immediately following the Annual Dinner Meeting.) Policy limits the agenda to three items.
1. Selection of standing committee chairpersons for a one-year term with committee budget.
Selection of Bagpiper Editor, Judges Education and Gazette Columnist
for a two-year term. (Chairs may later select their own committee members)
Annual Awards (must be a Board member)
Annual Awards Tally
Bagpiper Editor (two-year term)
Breed Education Chair is Judges Ed. Chair)
Judges (2 yr term, sub committee)
Gazette Columnist (two-year term)
Obedience & Rally
Public Education / PR
Pedigrees and ROM
Rescue Coordinator / Trust
SOP & Documents Steward
Sweepstakes, Obedience & Rally Show Trial Secretary
Wrap-Up (online newsletter)
Ways and Means
Catalog Advertising and Publicity
Perpetual & MCKC Trophy Engraving
Chairpersons of additional committees may be appointed at the
discretion of the President with the approval of the Board. This may
include, but not limited to Audit, et cetera.
2. Approval of the AKC Delegates' expenses and the date, time and
location of the next meeting.
B. SECOND MEETING OF THE BOARD USUALLY KNOWN AS THE WINTER MEETING.
1. Selection of the Nominating Committee if Rotating meeting is held after
2. Selection of Judges for the Rotating and Montgomery Specialty three years in advance.
3. Review committee reports which are to include projected plans and
4. Review membership applicants and vote, if necessary on acceptance of new applicants.
5. Review the Vice-President's present plans / details for the Rotating
6. Review Regional Clubs needs, concerns and activities.
7. Evaluate and make recommendations concerning Montgomery County
8. Review SOPs
C. BOARD MEETING HELD IN CONJUNCTION WITH ROTATING SPECIALTY
1. Selection of Regional Club to host Rotating Specialty, three years in
2. Selection of Anstamm Achievement Award, STCA Good Sportsmanship
Award, STCA Sterling Silver Medallion recipients and selection of any
Annual trophy donors.
3. Review applicants and vote, if necessary on acceptance of new applicants.
4. Review committee reports and the status of achievement / progress.
5. Review Regional Club needs, concerns and activities.
6. Selection of the Nominating Committee if meeting is held before
7. Selection of Judges for two years in advance, both Rotating and Fall, MCKC.
D. ANNUAL BOARD MEETING, MONTGOMERY COUNTY WEEKEND
1. Review all committee reports. Solicit input as to the Chairs'
2. Appoint each year an "Audit Committee" consisting of the Treasurer,
one Board member and one member who may or may not be a member
of the STCA Board. The Audit Committee will present a written report to
the Board" for information and record.
3. Review applicants and vote, if necessary, on acceptance of new applicants.
4. Review the schedule of activities for the weekend.
5. Evaluate and make recommendations concerning Rotating Specialty
6. Approve Treasurer's budget for the coming year.
E. ANNUAL MEETING OF THE CLUB IDinner meeting) HELD IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE NATIONAL SPECIALTY WEEKEND.
1. Welcome and moderate (Count members attending to check for a quorum done by Board members) Announce whether quorum or not to do business.
2. Ask for Report of Recording Sec. and Treasurer
3. Ask for Report of National Show Chair
4. Annual Regional Club Roll Call
5. Present Annual Awards won in the previous year (usually done by Awards Chair.