Standard Operational Procedures
Election of Nominating Committee Members
Article IV Section 4 Nominations and Ballots. No person may be a candidate in the Club election who has not been nominated in accordance with these by-laws. A Nominating Committee shall be chosen by the Board of Directors before April 15th. The Committee shall consist of five members and two alternates, all members in good standing, none of whom shall be a member of the current Board of Directors. Due consideration shall be given to geographical distribution of the Nominating Committee so that adequate representation of all major sections of the United States is preserved. The Board shall name a Chairman for the Committee.
A. POLICIES AND PROCEDURE
1. The STCA Nominating Committee consists of five (5) members and two (2) alternates.
2 Any STCA member may apply, and/or may be sponsored by any member of the STCA Board or Regional Club Board. All candidates must meet the qualifications listed in Section B below.
3. To be considered, all Candidates must submit an Application to Serve on the STCA Nominating Committee [Exhibit NC] to the STCA Corresponding Secretary no later ten (10) days before the winter meeting of the year for consideration, and must describe their qualifications to serve as stated below in Section B.
4. Following the election at the STCA Board meeting, the Corresponding Secretary of the STCA will contact each elected member by telephone to announce the election result, and will follow with a mailed letter, a Committee Acceptance Agreement, and a copy of the Nominating Committee SOP.
B. QUALIFICATIONS TO SERVE ON THE NOMINATING COMMITTEE:
1. Candidate must be a member of the STCA in good standing for at least five (5) years.
2. It is recommended that Candidates should have experience in two of the following:
a. Participation in AKC conformation, companion and/or performance events;
b. Service on the STCA Board and/or on an STCA committee;
c. Service on the board or a standing committee of a local all breed club, an AKC parent Breed club or a regional club of the STCA;
3. A person serving on the Nominating Committee, excluding Alternates who have not voted during the process, must wait three (3) years to be eligible to serve again. Former STCA Board members must wait three (3) years to be eligible to serve on the Nominating Committee. No current Board member may serve on the Nominating Committee.
4. No member of the same household or spouse of an Officer or member of the STCA Board of Directors may serve on the Nominating Committee.
5. No business partner of an Officer or Member of the Board of Directors may serve on the Nominating Committee. Business partners are defined as those that routinely share a kennel name.
6. No Nominating Committee member shall be a partner, a co-owner or co-breeder with another Nominating Committee member.
C. VOTING PROCEDURE
1 Due consideration shall be given to geographic distribution of the Nominating Committee members to ensure adequate representation of all STCA members, to the extent that it is practicable to do so.
2. The Corresponding Secretary will provide to each Board member a copy of each person's application to serve on the Nominating Committee, and a ballot with all of the candidates and their home states listed. Each Board member will vote for 5 candidates. The winner(s) will be declared by a majority of the votes cast.
3. Successive rounds of voting: Any candidate who would not receive a majority vote if he/she received all of the votes of the candidates with an equal or lower number of votes shall be eliminated, and a second round of voting shall be held.
4. In the case of a tie vote for any 2 or more candidates, another round of voting for those candidates will take place in the same manner as described above. Any tie not resolved by voting will be decided by the President.
5. Each Board member shall vote for 2 Alternates from the remaining candidates.
6. A Chairperson will be elected by the Board from the five elected voting committee members an alternate will be selected for chair also. The winning candidate will be declared by simple majority. If the chairperson is not able to serve the committee in this capacity, the alternate will be named Chair.
Board Approved October 2009 Revised February 2014
Exhibit Revised February 2014
Application to Serve on the Nominating Committee
To be included in STCA Dues Packet and Posted on STCA Web Site
By submitting this application, it is understood that, if selected, the undersigned will accept the position, will make him/herself available for conference calls, and will abide by the rules of the committee set forth in the Nominating Committee SOP document.
Telephone Number Email address
STCA Member for ______ years
Qualifications- Please list your experience in the following, including level and number of years of involvement. Attach sheet(s) as needed. (See List of Qualifications to Serve on back.)
1) AKC Conformation, Companion and/or Performance Events
2) Service on the STCA Board and/or an STCA Committee
3) Service on the board or committee of an all breed club, an AKC Parent Breed Club or regional club of the STCA.
Reason(s) for wishing to serve:
Please mail completed form to the STCA Corresponding Secretary
NO LATER THAN ____________(ADJUST YEARLY TO 10 DAYS BEFORE WINTER BOARD MTG)