STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE
Board of Directors Code of Conduct
At the first meeting each year of the new Board of Directors (the meeting immediately following the Annual Meeting), all Officers and Directors shall BE ASKED TO sign the Code of Conduct. This document shall remain in effect and on file with the Recording Secretary for a year, or until a new Code of Conduct is signed.
No one may serve as an officer or director without signing this document. Prospective officers and directors will be made aware of this document when they agree to be nominated.
Any officer or director who fails to adhere to the precepts of this document may be asked to resign from his/her position, at which time the Board will select a replacement to serve until the next annual election.
The Scottish Terrier Club of America
Board of Directors Code of Conduct
In all matters affecting the STCA, I will:
• Serve in my capacity as Director or Officer as required by position (By-Laws, Article III: Directors and Officers, Sections 1 & 2).
• Maintain confidentiality and not disclose or disseminate any information or Board business unless specifically authorized to do so and not until meeting minutes are published as Board minutes, nor will I speak on behalf of the Board unless authorized to do so.
o I will, upon completion of my term, pass on all club documents and materials and other property of the Board to my successor within the month following the expiration of my term.
o I am obligated to maintain confidentiality of all club business beyond my term of office.
• Attend all and participate actively in requisite Board meetings and activities which include:
o Four meetings: Winter, Rotating Specialty, pre STCA Annual and After Dinner Meetings in October, plus all monthly Conference Call meetings.
Absences for any meeting must be excused by a vote of the Board. Excused absences are: illness, death in the family or emergency. Absences due to extenuating circumstances will be considered on an individual basis.
o Communicate regularly with other Board members via the electronic Board list.
o Regular activities include being part of the Board Show Committee at National Sweepstakes/Montgomery, Montgomery Show, and at Rotating Specialty Shows where Board members are expected to be present and engaged in organization of the show's activities, including assigned duties.
o Serve on committees of the Board when assigned, and maintain regular contact with positions/committees assigned to me as Board Liaison.
• Conduct business ethically and with integrity.
• Contribute to a professional working environment.
• Respect fellow Board members, and foster trust between members of this Board, regardless of difference of opinion and remain open to respectful discussion.
• Make decisions fairly, impartially and promptly – listening to all points of view.
• Treat fellow Board Members and Club Members with respect, courtesy, honesty, and fairness.
• Not bully, discriminate against, or harass club colleagues and members of the club.
• Not misuse official club information for personal or commercial gain.
• Serve as steward of the Club's finances, using Club monies in a respectful and conservative way.
• Openly disclose any conflict of interest, recuse myself from any discussion that may benefit my family, friends or me and refrain from voting or attempting to influence issues in which I am conflicted.
Any Board member failing to uphold this Code of Conduct is subject to removal by a majority of the sitting Board present and voting.
Name (printed) Date
Name (signature) Board Position/Term