Clan Connection GUIDELINES for REGIONAL CLUB
These guidelines are a part of the SOP but available separately so they may be sent to the Regional Club Editor and to each of the Bagpiper Regional Correspondents.
Regional News Guidelines
The deadlines are one week prior to each issue's deadline (i.e. Jan. 30, April 15, July 15 and Oct. 15). This will enable the Regional Club's Editor of the Clan Connection to proof and make any necessary adjustments to the reports.
See Regional Club Clan Connection Guidelines
Provide anything you can that might catch their eye to remember the deadline and get the best response.
Items to include in the notice:
Inform the correspondents of all the ways/modes you will accept their reports: i. e., snail mail address, email with what formats you can handle, fax number, etc. On your first notice as Regional Club Editor encourage the Club to start sending you their Club's newsletter. They come in very handy when you are checking spellings of peoples' names, dates or event.
Deadline to have their report back to you.
It is recommended approximately 7 days before the return deadline you place a phone call to all tardy correspondents, even if it was just a phone message left on their answering machine, reminding them of the deadline. It is important to make contact.
Mailing the Notice
Mailing the notice 5 days before the first of the month seemed to be enough time to get the notice to the correspondents. You may use USPS or email. Send a notice to the inactive Clubs as well as active. This is a courtesy plus keeps them informed. Also, send a notice to the Editor.
The Regional editor pays for the postage incurred in all mailings and phone calls.
STANDARD EDITING CONVENTIONS
The following formatting options are used for the Regional column.
• Regional reports will be submitted by email to the Editor by the Regional Club Representative after proofing and compilation.
• If you and the editor have email compatibles you may send as an attachment if you both agree
• Use format that you and the editor agree to use
• The font is True type Times New Roman
• Font size is 12 point
• All margins are 1"
• Margin - left align
• Double space between paragraphs and The Header
• Single Space between sentences
• Do not underline, bold, italicize or indent
Contents of the Regional Column
This information will be supplied to each of the Bagpiper Correspondents as a guideline to follow. 400 words or less.
• Header should include Title of Newsletter, Name of Regional Club, Correspondent's name, address and email.
• Correspondents have to write their own report. We are unable to accept a club newsletter and do the report for them.
• AKC Event- All events must be AKC approved (date, site, judges) before they can be listed in the column. Both the Regional Club and Parent Club can be fined if mentioned before approval.
• Use abbreviations such as CH for champion, BOB for Best in Breed, etc. This reduces length.
• Reporting their Specialty Results, correspondents may include BOB, BOW, BOS, WD, WB, Reserve Winners, Selects and AOMs. Include owners of the winners but not breeders or handlers. VERIFY SPELLING OF NAMES.
• Each column may include one photo of a special event or activity or person.
• Items that appear to be advertisements for people or businesses are deleted.
• Topics that seem to involve "Club politics" or personal agenda are deleted.
• Correct grammar and spelling and sentence content.
• Lengthy information considering club events may be edited to reserved space.
• Information that is better suited for the individual Club's newsletter is deleted.
The Regional Editor and the Bagpiper Editor have the right to edit all information that is sent to them.
Revised and Updated December 2013 (Pam Williams, Editor)
Board approved April 24, 2014