Job Description/Goals – The board approves the appointment of the Editor for a one-year term as the editor of the 20 regional clubs’ Clan Connection quarterly reports and serves as liaison to the Editor of The Bagpiper of the regional club clan reports. Editor is to inform clan correspondents of guidelines, work with clubs to secure reports for each quarterly issue of the Bagpiper, compile and edit according to guidelines for reports, and forward to Bagpiper editor by deadlines assigned by the Bagpiper editor.
The Clan Correspondents for each of the regional clubs are appointed by each regional club.
Please follow deadline notices for contacting regional club clan connection reporters:
|1st Deadline Notice
||2nd Deadline Notice
||3rd Deadline Notice
||Deadline to Bagpiper Editor
|Dec. 25||Jan 1||Jan 7||January 30|
||April 1||April 7||April 15|
||July 1||July 7||July 15|
|Sept 25||Oct 1||Oct 15||Oct 15|
Regarding Deadlines: This schedule provides three notices to be delivered to the regional club correspondents prior to their deadline for report submission. It allows one week for the regional club editor to edit, reformat (if necessary), and forward to the Bagpiper editor.
New Regional Club Correspondent Initial Notice
- Send the preferred format (guidelines) and content instructions.
- Inform the correspondent of ways to send reports (email attachment – Word document, fax, first class mail)
- Encourage new correspondent to send their club’s newsletter. Newsletters are a good reference for checking spelling of people’s names, dates, and event information.
- Email is the most efficient means of communication.
- For those correspondents who do not have e-mail capability, make individual arrangements to notify via regular mail or telephone.
- Send notices to all regional clubs, inactive and active.
- The regional club editor pays for any postage incurred and/or phone calls.
Editing Guidelines/Report formatting (attached):
- Email clan correspondents reports as individual attachments to Bagpiper editor on deadline (in Word).
- Font – 12 Times New Roman
- Font size – 12-point
- Margins – 1” and aligned to the left.
- Text – single-spaced; double space between paragraph and header.
- Do not underline, use italics or bold print or indent.
- Reports are to be a maximum length of 400 words (approximately 30 lines in format as outlined above).
- Editor is responsible to double check all spelling such as: member’s names, their dogs, confirm AKC approvals of specialty shows, spelling of all dogs’ names as reported by clan correspondent.
Content (See guidelines)
Information is provided by the regional club clan correspondent.
- Header should include newsletter name, club name, correspondent’s name and their email address.
- Correspondents must write their own report. The Editor is unable to accept a club newsletter from which to extrapolate a report.
ADDENDUM – Guidelines for Content
BAGPIPER CLAN CONNECTION – CORRESPONDENT GUIDELINES
- Type:Times New Roman. Font size 12. Format: Single-space; double-space between paragraphs; do not indent paragraphs, 1” margin.
- Reports are limited to 400 words.
- Header is four lines and includes in this order: 1) Newsletter name, 2) Club’s name, 3) Correspondent’s name, and 4) Correspondent’s e-mail address.
- Do not underline, use italics or bold print, or indent. This includes the header.
- All reports/promotion of upcoming AKC events must have AKC approval for date, site, and judges. If this information cannot be confirmed on the AKC website by the deadline, information will be deleted. (Regional and parent clubs may be liable for fines if events are promoted prior to official AKC approval.)
- Use abbreviations such as CH for champion, GCH for Grand Champion,
GCHB (Bronze), GCHS (Silver), etc., BOB for Best of Breed, etc.
- In reporting Specialty results, report WD, WB, RWD, RWB, BW, BOS, BOB, SD (Select Dog), SB(Select Bitch), AOMs and Group placements. Do not list class placements. List only the owner(s), not the breeder(s) unless they are one in the same.
- In reporting Sweepstakes results, report only BIS and BOS (if applicable). List only the owner(s), not the breeder(s) unless they are one in the same.
- Highly encouraged is information of historical significance, e.g. newly elected club officers, club milestones, etc., keeping in mind that The Bagpiper is a source reference for the history of the STCA and its regional clubs. One photo may be included to support an event, win (candid) or special recognition.
- Timeliness of information is necessary. Keep in mind the publication date & distribution of The Bagpiper when promoting activities and events.
- The Clan Connection Correspondent is encouraged to include one picture, preferably in high resolution, of a club specialty or meeting/event with caption relating to report,
- Any information that appears to advertise people or businesses will be edited out.
- Topics that are controversial in nature (club politics, negative in tone, personal propaganda) will be deleted.
- The Regional Clubs’ Clan ConnectionEditor and The Bagpiper Editor have the right to edit all information submitted.
Revision Feb 22, 2014, March 2017